Sunday, April 3, 2011

Crafters Week - Backwards

While catching up on my blog reading (and avoiding actual work at work) I stumbled across this. The second annual knitting and crocheting blog week. Since today is the last day, I decided to start with day 7's topic and work my way backwards.

Write about your typical crafting time. When it is that you are likely to craft – alone or in more social environments, when watching TV or whilst taking bus journeys. What items do you like to surround yourself with whilst you twirl your hook like a majorette’s baton or work those needles like a skilled set of samurai swords. Do you always have snacks to hand, or are you a strictly ‘no crumbs near my yarn!’ kind of knitter.

With two young kids my crafting time is limited to say the least. I try to fit in a few stitches whenever possible. Which is probably why I always have seven or twelve projects going at once. When a project is at it's "knit until x inches from cast on row" stage, it travels well. Especially hats knit in the round. Like the pumpkin hat in my purse. A few stitches at the red light, a few more waiting for my computer to boot up, by the end of the day I've finished an entire row! Slightly more complex knitting (simple decrease and increase shaping, easily memorized lace or cables) is for when my husband and I are going somewhere together. He always drives, I always knit. It makes him a bit crazy I know. It doesn't matter where we are going or how long it will take to get there - 5 minutes to the grocery store, 10 minutes to my parents house, I knit on the way there. I always sneak in a few rows at night after the kids are in bed. This is when I do the "pay attention to me" knitting. I am usually half watching Forensic Files or some other true crime TV show at the same time.

But my absolutely favorite knitting time is vacation knitting. Thanks to a company car that comes with a company gas card we drive to wherever it is we are going on vacation. At least a month before (and sometimes earlier) I scope out possible new projects. I go to my LYS to touch and feel possible yarn choices. The week or two before vacation, I  swatch, plan, and pack my knitting bag (complete with clip on book light for nighttime driving). As soon as we back out of the driveway, I start my new project. Sometimes, I even finish it.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

You avoiding work? I will pretend I just didn't read that and move on.

I love how you sneak in a few stitches when ever you can. I can't seem to manage that one, especially in our traffic.

As for knitting while you travel, I just had my best experience. In the past, SWCNLBN didn't drive more than two hours at a time and I couldn't knit. But SF loves to drive too and I made a scarf (almost) while we drove there and back.

BTW - welcome back.... :)