Sunday, December 5, 2010

HIPPA

As most of you know, I work in a hospital. There is never a dull day - be it ridiculous or heartbreaking work is always an interesting place to be.

This weekend I had a consult on a patient admitted from a nursing home. The paperwork that came with her from the nursing home listed her diet as "NSS". I have a degree in Nutrition, I have been a dietitian for 6 years, and I have never heard of the acronym NSS. So I called the nursing home and asked to speak to someone in the kitchen. The kid that answered the phone refused to tell me what NSS stood for. He actually told me, "I can't divulge that information."

Seriously? Is your facilities list of acronyms HIPPA protected? I don't think so. I think someone takes his job a little too seriously.

For the record, NSS stands for No Salt Substitutes. Also for the record, I have no idea what that means either.

3 comments:

Lyndsey-Jane said...

Without wanting to be a smart ass wouldn't it mean that patient can't have things like lo-salt ( eg potassium based salts used for those needing a low sodium diet) probably due to heart problems

Me said...

dumbass. how are you supposed to help without all the IMPORTANT information? I love healthcare don't you?

Lisa said...

I knew that you must have the patience of a Saint. Now I know it is true. Thank you for all that you do for others....especially since I missed National Nurses Week....