Sunday, July 5, 2009

Tadpole's First Bottle

A momentous occasion for any baby no doubt. A more bittersweet occasion for mom.

With Bear, I gave her one bottle at about the same time - she took it without problem so I breathed a sigh of relief and avoided the whole subject of bottles and pumping until I had to go back to work. Of course, by then she had only had one bottle in three months and adamantly refused to accept a bottle for three heart wrenching, ear splitting days.

This time around we've decided to give Tadpole one bottle a day. You know, since it's so unlikely that I'll actually win the lottery by the end of August and I will have to go back to work. It's not that I think I'm cut out to be a stay at home mom - I think I'd lose my mind the first week. There's just something so horrible about leaving a three month old infant with strangers. And by the way, I LOVE our day care - they are fantastic people, very caring and compassionate. But they're not his mom, and he's so new, and little, and... sob.

This is about the time in my maternity leave with Bear that I started cursing the former president. Mister "Family Values" - we are the ONLY industrialized country without paid maternity leave. And even though it is unpaid, we have the SHORTEST amount of time that our employers are required to hold our job. Twelve weeks is just not enough time. The baby is so little and so helpless. And every pediatrician in the world will tell you that the best thing for a baby is to be exclusively breastfed for the first six months. How on earth is anyone supposed to do that?

OK. Sorry about the disjointed angry rant. Here are some cute pictures to make you forget my above spewing.

Ah, to add to my fabulous attitude the camera has eaten half of my Tadpole pictures. See you all another day.

2 comments:

Miss Me said...

my heart goes out to you... since i had younger son, paid maternity / parental leave has gone from 6 months to 12 months. it was hard enough at 6 months, even though, like you, i was not meant to be a stay at home mom.

here's hoping that the camera decides to co-operate so we can all see some cute baby photos!

Jennifer said...

It's a crime--I totally hear you. My SIL had to go back to work when her younger son was SIX WEEKS. And they wonder why he had such intestinal problems; maybe because he couldn't digest formula, which they gave him from day one because pumping isn't compatible with her job (corrections)...