Friday, July 31, 2009

Really?

Knitting Needles Poke Security the Wrong Way
By GRANT STINCHFIELD

A North Texas woman is asked to leave a Balch Springs Social Security office after a guard accused her of carrying dangerous weapons: her knitting needles.

“The armed guard came up to me and said I have to take that outside,” said Rachel Vines.

Vines said the only thing she was trying to kill inside the waiting room was time.

“I wasn't shoving them in people's faces going, 'look I have sharp pointy things,'" she said. "I was sitting there minding my own business trying to knit a sock.”

Apparently the Officer determined the five-inch knitting needles were a threat to the safety and security of those inside the building. The Federal Protective Service oversees security inside the building and would not answer questions about the incident, but it did email NBCDFW this statement:

“The Federal Protective Service (FPS) is responsible for keeping federal properties safe and secure for both employees and visitors. If an FPS guard determines that an object carried by a visitor could present a safety risk or be used by another person as a weapon, they may be asked to remove it from the building.”

People in the waiting room used words like “ridiculous” and “outrageous” when referring to the guards move to make Vines remove the needles.

Vines did put her yarn and knitting tools in the car but said she’s still flabbergasted by the whole ordeal.

“I cant even fathom what he was thinking," she said. "That I was going to harm someone by knitting? I just don’t get it."

Sorry Lisa, but this is just one more reason I will NEVER live in Texas.

9 comments:

Grace said...

i just heard about this Unbelievable!!!

Jennifer said...

Sometimes I think we should let them secede...

ponyknit said...

Hahahha WOW...

JustApril said...

Hey, not all Texans are that bad, lol. I've knit in public all over the place and never been accused of brandishing deadly weapons =) Some people are just idiots.

Carrie Penny said...

When I was on Jury Duty for the city a few months back a young security gaurd had to ask if I could take my size 1 bamboo sock needles in the courthouse with me... The old man who had checked my bag the previous two days laughed at the young guy and asked him what he though I could possibly to with those "tooth picks"... Then looked at me and told me how his grandmother and mother both used to knit and crochet...

Anonymous said...

Here's you secret knitting pal saying hello. The mailman will knock at your door soon...

Lisa said...

Okay...yes Jennifer, just let us secede and the prices for all the stuff that come from Texas will rise.... :)seriously...some people are just plain idiots and should not represent human life at all....I have taken my knitting into numerous Houston court buildings and have never had any issues...

nathan said...

Sounds stupid but as soon as he lets something like this slide, someone will get pissed off that they aren’t getting their social security check, grab her knitting needles and stab someone else in the neck. Sounds ridiculous I know, but I saw someone get stabbed in the neck with a fork over far less (and that wasn’t in Texas). Then if the unthinkable did happen the same people who think it is crazy how this security officer acted would be the same ones crying the government and the officer didn't do enough to protect innocent lives and want their heads.

Megan said...

Sadly I dated he who was stabbed with a fork. I don't think you can compare junior high schoolers to adults.