Monday, June 15, 2009

The Birthday Story - Part 2

Once the triage nurses were finally able to get my IV going, they transferred me to my actual labor and delivery room. The nurses were going on and on about what a great room number 28 was - how it is newly renovated and big, and blah, blah, blah. Really, the last thing I cared about at that moment was the decor of the delivery room. I'm sure if the interior designer was asked to do her work during childbirth the room wouldn't look nearly as nice. Because it really doesn't matter!

My labor nurse, Kelly, was awesome. The anaesthesiology team was in the room prepping me as the last drops of the IV were dribbling in. Now, with Bear, I don't even remember the epidural being placed. I had either been in labor so long (14 hours at that point) that I didn't notice or it was so painful that I instantly blocked it out. Either way, that HURT! But then it was all good. :-)

Once I could relax, I started giving Andrew the to-do list. This week has been cold and rainy so we needed to pick out a different coming-home outfit for Tadpole. He was texting my friends and updating his Facebook status throughout the morning, so I was giving him the names of people he needed to actually call (my grandmother for instance). When I got to the part about making cupcakes with blue frosting for Bear to bring to pre-school he couldn't keep it in anymore - with a mixture of laughter and irritation he bellowed "Focus on the task at hand!" Kelly chimed in with, "You have a lot of hard work ahead of you. Rest." So I rested.

A bit later, I asked Kelly if the catheter was still in because it was really uncomfortable. She was like, "Um, no." So my doctor came in, took one look, and yelled for a baby nurse as she was gowning up. Apparently, the "catheter" was the baby. I had been telling everyone (the labor nurse, the doctor, the medical student) that I had pushed for almost four hours with Bear. Kelly kept saying, "Yeah, we're not doing that today." I kind of took it as her being positive and keeping me going. Well three contractions and eight pushes later, Tadpole arrived.

Andrew and I kept looking at each other saying, "Can you believe this?" It was incredible. We went from not even knowing if I was really in labor to holding our newborn son. What an amazing day.

9 comments:

ponyknit said...

Wow. Amazing. Congradulations. Glad to hear it was such a speedy delivery in comparison to Bear!

Lisa said...

Such a wonderful way to bring baby number two into the world! It is true that the second is usually quicker, so I'm glad that the Tadpole was no exception! Thank you for sharing and Congrats to all of you again!

Jennifer said...

Wow! It's so great that it went so smoothly...

waitandsee said...

THIS is what happens when I don't check my friend blogs on Ravelry for a week, people go and do big things like having babies. ;-)

Seriously, congratulations to you! I'm so happy for the healthy and relatively fast birth of your new son.

No wonder I hadn't seen you in the cafeteria this last week...

JustApril said...

Funny how each birth is just as different as each child. With my last one, I only needed to push once, but it was very painful, since my epidural only worked on half my body.

Kristina said...

Congrats! Little boys rock. :)

Carrie Penny said...

I loved reading your two part narritive on how to deliver Tadpole! Now you have a story written all you have to do is print it on acid free paper and scrap book it!

Miss Me said...

great story! older son arrived about 2 weeks early, too. quite a surprise with a first baby - i wasn't sure whether i was in labour either...
enjoy your little boy. they are loads of FUN!

Alaina said...

Congratulations -

In adding to "waitandsee"'s comment - I haven't been your blog in a while and "didn't even know you were pregnant"...LOL

Really glad to hear things went smoothly - and yes...Little boys rock!!