Thursday, April 9, 2009

Book Review: Lethal Shadow

I love true crime. I love The First 48, Forensic Files, The Real NCIS, etc. etc. One night I was watching Investigation Discovery (I think) and saw a story on Mike DeBardeleben. I had never heard of this guy before so I was psyched to see something new. This guy was on par with the best known criminals out there - Ted Bundy, Jeffrey Dahmer, the Green River Killer, but unlike those well-known criminals, he has never confessed to any of his horrible crimes (except counterfeiting). I googled him, found this book, and ordered it right away.

Disturbed. That is the only way to describe this book.

Mike DeBardeleben was probably the most prolific counterfeiter in the history of the United States. He eluded the Secret Service for years. When he was finally caught the Secret Service uncovered evidence of just about every felony known to mankind - murder, rape, kidnapping, robbery, bank scams, the list goes on and on. He was even linked to the murder of a real estate agent here in Rhode Island. Usually I can brush this stuff off but this guys story is haunting.

So all in all, as an example of the genre, an excellent true crime book. I wouldn't recommend it though.

2 comments:

Carrie Penny said...

Most books are like that. I read John Douglas' book a few years ago talking about the differnt people he had profiled based on the crimes they commited. I didn't sleep well for a year!

Aunt Kathy said...

Hmm maybe I'll pass... yikes. It's scary to know what's out there, I'd rather live in a somewhat rose colored version