Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Book Review: Eat, Pray, Love

I bought this book at the airport last year during my business trip to Washington, D.C. and I've been reading it on and off for the past year. Not because I couldn't get into it, but because I only read it when I had a big chunk of uninterrupted time alone. Those rare occasions when I escape early in the morning for breakfast alone at the diner down the street or afternoons when Bear actually naps and I can curl up with a big steaming cup of tea.

The book is divided into three sections, as the title suggests. After a horribly messy divorce, Elizabeth Gilbert leaves the United States on a yearlong quest to find herself and lose her guilt over leaving her husband and disrupting their "Leave It to Beaver" life. She eats her way through Italy, prays for four months in India, and falls in love in Indonesia. The book was an easy, almost comforting read. Gilbert writes straight from her innermost thoughts and it's easy to feel as though you are sitting with a close friend. She's able to do a lot of soul searching without being whiny. And even though she's praying in India for four months, the book is not preachy.

This is a book I would recommend and one I will most likely read again.

4 comments:

ponyknit said...

Thanks for the review, I've considered reading that book for a while.

Lisa said...

Added to my growing list.... :)

Aunt Kathy said...

Sounds like a winner to me

Miss Me said...

like you, i've had the book for a while. yes - reading time is an issue. i bought it after i heard elizabeth gilbert interviewed. i think that you've just inspired me to get back to it!