Saturday, February 21, 2009

WIP: Circles and Stripes Blanket

The four squares are done. I was initially disappointed that Bernat didn't make a darker brown for me to use, but I like the way the colors look together.

In looking at some of the finished objects on Ravelry, I was worried about ending up with wonky looking circles so I came up with a little plan.

Start with a stencil and a water soluble fabric marker.

The marker is fine tipped and pretty light but if you look closely you can see the blue outline.

Then, following the pattern directions, I crocheted a circle onto the tan square.

Then I whipped stitched around the crocheted circle.

The circle still isn't as neat as I had hoped but I can live with it. The whip stitching takes forever. (Notice how the circle is only 3/4 of the way done?)

The only flaw in my plan? Notice the color of the pen? Notice the color of the other solid square? It looks like I'm going back to the craft store.

7 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

That's the perfect solution to getting a perfect circle. Did you try the marker on the blue? Maybe it will work enough and you won;t need to buy another

Carrie Penny said...

I love that idea! I most likely would have kept the crochet circles though... I HATE sewing and would get bored about half way through...

Miss Me said...

carrie and i would have both had crocheted circles... the blanket is going to be adorable.

~Tonia~ said...

What an ingenious idea. What is wrong with the crochet circles? I think it adds something to it. I would just leave them crochet instead of doing the whip stitch. Very cute either way you do it though.

Jennifer said...

I think I agree about the crocheted circles--I think they look cute. It's a great pattern!

ponyknit said...

Your circles look great! Maybe you can get away with only one marker, I'd give it a shot.

Lisa said...

WOW! You are amazingly creative with this one! I would probably have taken the same route as Carrie and Miss Me....