Monday, December 8, 2008

NOT a Morning Bear

Bear is not a morning Bear. Not in any sense of the word. She routinely pulls the blankets and/or pillows over her head in the morning and groans, "Not yet!" or "Snuggle with me!" It would be funny if it didn't take 45 minutes to get her out of bed in the morning. Or after nap time. Or anytime she falls asleep.

Which leads me to today's check up with the pediatrician. She fell asleep on the way there which meant we had to wake her up. It wasn't pretty.

We checked in, took off her coat, and then it was out turn. (Since when do doctors run AHEAD of schedule?!) The poor thing had virtually no transition time. She definitely didn't have her requisite 45 minutes. So we dragged her into the exam room, literally, and stripped her down to her big girl underpants. She sat on the floor kicking me. So I moved to the other side of the room. So she crawled next to me and continued to kick me.

The pediatrician came in and I won't go into deep detail. I think these two comments can pretty much sum up our visit... "Most children need one minute per year old for a time-out but she may need two minutes per year. " And perhaps the more telling comment, "The best preparation I ever had for this job was the high school wrestling team."

Now, don't get me wrong, I love Bear's pediatrician. He is warm, caring, and not the least bit condescending. Not even when I asked him if Bear's post-nap-sweaty-folded-in-half-ear could become permanent. Or when I insisted, at five days old, that she was YELLOW. Clearly she was YELLOW, couldn't he see that? So he ordered stat labs on a Friday afternoon to calm my crazy first time mom self. But today, I felt like the worst mother in the world.

My three year old was literally on the floor, writhing about, screaming, throwing a text book temper tantrum and I was absolutely powerless. There was NOTHING I could do to calm the storm or make it stop. I simply had to wait it out, something the doctor did not have time to do. (She eventually did calm down and even participated in her eye exam. And then she told the nurse that she was "NOT NICE!" when she gave Bear her flu shot.)

And then the best part. We had to tell him that, guess what! We're expecting again. You know, since we've obviously totally screwed up with this one we're going to try again. We can't do any worse right?

I'm sure every parent goes through this. (Tell me every parent goes through this... right?) But I still feel like a complete failure.

8 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Every Parent Goes Through This...

However my mom... the super woman... no we didn't dare... she had that evil eye, we KNEW if that EYE made contact with us we were DOOMED. LOL

I never learned this trick. I always said my mom was not human. LOL

Sara said...

we need to get together SOON...I had one of those days yesterday. My son is never staying at my mothers again, he comes back a different child. And I'm the mean mommy who has to handle it :(

Jen said...

Do you know that I can never go into Burlington Mall again? The child took my glasses off my face and threw them! (among other atrocities). Its not all the time, but when it happens it feels endless!

Dana said...

Megan, I'm sure you're a wonderful mother of a bright child that's just hit that rough toddler stage- that's all. Just be patient and remember "this too shall pass"... oh, and take a Tylenol. ;) Congrats on finding out you're expecting! When are you due?

Jennifer said...

No kids here, but I'm sure it's not your fault! Grumpy days happen! And I'm sure she's not the worst the doctor had seen that day...

SJNorman said...

trying to call you it keeps going to voicemail. CALL ME

Diane said...

The hardest thing with kids is that they don't come with correct instructions. Seriously I bought a toaster and it came with instruction for my specific model. TV set? Same thing. But with each of my 4 kids I had to rely on neighbors, friends, parents, books that conflicted with each other, and doctors.

At times I felt like I was a crazy person for thinking I could ever raise a child much less 4. But you know what? The one who threw a fit in the cereal aisle grew up to be a fine person. The one who dyed her hair purple, red, orange, green, etc is now in school studying to be a radiology tech, and the twins who had dirt eatting contests are college juniors getting straight a's.

So while you may question your sanity at having children and wonder if you are screwing them up for life just remember that you are doing the best you can. Bear didn't come with an instruction book and you are raising her with love.

Carrie Penny said...

I don't know about every parent, as I don't have any kids yet of my own, all I can draw on is my experience as a kid... when I was 10 I think I was biten by a dog (still have the scares all 27 of them) and when they went to give me my rabies shot, I kicked my 80 year old doctor, ran down the hall with my pants hanging off of my butt screaming they weren't going to give me a shot ran out into the waiting room where a nurse finally caught me and drug me screaming back into the room where my mother, the doctor (who now had a bit of a limp) and two nurses held me down my all of my limbs, the doctor smacked my butt (actually bursting blood vesels) and jammed the needle into my butt. After that I was screaming child abuse and everything else under the sun and doing everything I could to get my hand out of their grasp b/c they were trying to shove gauze into it...

Keep in mind I was 10, not 4... I was a good kid other wise... I think... Well, that is my story...