Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Commissioned

Anyone who knits has invariably been asked, "Can you make me a (fill in the blank)?" My knee-jerk response has always been, "I can teach you." But now I find myself with two projects that are mine solely due to my big mouth.

The first I acquired this summer and have done an entire gauge swatch for thus far. It's for a woman I work with. She bought the yarn on vacation despite the fact that she has never knit a stitch in her life. Also despite the fact that she had to beg, plead, and bribe the pattern out of the woman who owned the yarn shop. (Apparently the pattern is the creation of said owner and it wasn't for sale, trade, or ransom.) What's stopping me? Besides the fact that I am a schizophrenic knitter who can't seem to focus? There's no picture. I don't know if what I'm making is right. It's infuriating.

The second belongs to Andrew's aunt. (I couldn't really say no now could I?) She actually knit the pieces but has asked me to finish it - including weaving in all the loose ends and seeming the whole thing. Again, this pattern doesn't come with a picture, but at least I have more of an idea of what it's supposed to look like. This one has a time limit though. It's a Christmas present and has to be mailed to Pennsylvania first so I really should finish it before the end of this week.

4 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Yeah, good luck with those. LOL. I need pictures, LOTS of pictures.

Lisa said...

I'm with Aunt Kathy! I need LOTS of pictures too. The picture in the post looks like a strange marriage of a ballet wrap and one of those shirts we used to tie with shorts when we had non-baby waists and wanted to look cute....

katesgrand said...

Megan, If you google baby's tied shrug you can see a picture of the shrug. I would need more than a picture, but that is probably why I make scarves and two-needle mittens!

Your favorite MIL

Jennifer said...

The story about the project for your coworker is kind of insane... You'd think she'd want to make it herself, with that kind of motivation! I wish you good luck. I no longer take orders, myself.