Saturday, October 18, 2008

Ingenious!

I knew the minute I started winding that first hank of yarn the other night that I was definitely going to need a swift. The back of a kitchen chair is useful in a number of ways, doll prison, for example, but as yarn swift, the back of my kitchen chairs failed miserably.

Of course, I knew the hubby wasn't going to approve that particular "yarn" purchase. My first response was to buy it anyway google "how to make your own yarn swift" and then attach the instructions to an email to my dad along with a message that read somewhere along the lines of Plllllleeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaassssssssseeeeeeee build this for me. But then I found this tutorial. Saving my dad hours of time and me hours of negotiating that I really will clean my room this weekend if he would just make me a swift.

A trip to Target later I am up and running with my own Tinkertoy swift.


It works like a dream, and by changing the length of the arms (orange sticks in this picture) it is fully adjustable. Even I, the engineering school drop out, was able to put it together in mere minutes.

7 comments:

Carrie Penny said...

I almost did that too! I am glad to hear that it worked. The weekend that I was going to get the Tinkertoys, my SP at the time sent me one her father made!

Aunt Kathy said...

Yep I need one of those too. I have such a tangled mess form the last one I tried on the back of the chair. And 6 hanks that I refuse to touch for fear I'll ruin those too. Perhaps I should ask santa for some tinker toys this year?

Lisa said...

Okay, you are officially my heroine! Thank goodness that there is a Target tight next door to me...I will be hauling myself over there to get my own yarn swift engineering kit!

Wendy said...

How creative and ingenious!

Grace said...

how clever of you!!

ponyknit said...

Brilliant! WOOT!

Miss Me said...

off to raid the toy room - i know that there are some tinkertoy sets in there somewhere...