Monday, August 18, 2008

Just Call Me Alicia Sacramone

I'm not a master knitter (or a master gymnast, or even a mediocre gymnast but that's not really the point now is it?) but I came to these Olympics with the highest hopes and the best of intentions. I was going to perform perfect yarn overs and land every row with the same stitch count as when I started. But I am wilting under the pressure. Wilting like iceburg lettuce on the grill. And it's going to take a small bed-rest requiring accident for me to pull this one off. Something minor. Perhaps two slightly sprained ankles. Nothing requiring me to take pain meds that will suddenly make me think Mr. Bean movies are actually worth watching.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, I screwed up the lace again. Perhaps mohair, black mohair, was a poor first lace choice.

4 comments:

katesgrand said...

You know what they say about being in the lonely "4th" position. No medal - no glory. Now pull yourself up, sprained ankles and all, and get back on the pommel horse! I know you can do it...and I was going to ask for a lovely lace wrap for Christmas. No ulterior motive here, you understand. I am only encouraging you to Never Let Them See You Sweat. However, to get back to Christmas, something light and airy, and perhaps not in black. I'm thinking perhaps...aqua or a lovely green. I'm going to get my pom-poms and my mega(n)phone to cheer you one your way.

Aunt Kathy said...

Megan

You are not alone... I just finished encouraging another blogger to keep on keeping on. It's the finishing that matters, not the when of finishing. You are a winner just for doing in my book.

Carrie Penny said...

Is it following the pattern, or just getting the hang of it that is giving you an issue. If I am having an issue with lace I put in little life lines. Every 5 rows I thread a thinner yarn through the whole piece that way if I mess up, I can just rip out to that point w/o losing anything else. I also put all patterns in sleeves and use an expo marker to mark off each row as I go and erase them as I go the next pass (over and over and over).

The life line thing is really my tool for not messing up...

Lisa said...

Dabbing the tears from my eyes from laughing. Katesgrand is quite right, no pain no gain and so on....and the mega(n)phone was far to clever!

Lace is so much fun....but I finally mastered Cherie Amour. You should try it, you will love it too!

And, pain meds are not all that bad from time to time. I love my oral surgeon for his wisdom with my soon to be new crown and the insistence of selected pain meds....