Monday, June 16, 2008

It's Not Dead - It's Sunning!

So says the sign in front of the red-legged seriema at the National Zoo. My other favorite sign had to be Warning: Aggressive Crane.

But I have to admit it, even with all the super cool animals available for my ogling, my heart just wasn't in it. What fun is the zoo without a two-year old to share it with? I paid more attention to the little kids than the animals so I left before the parents had me put on a list somewhere.

I did get to see the Giant Pandas and I would show you a picture, however...

When a hotel has both "Free Wi-Fi" and a "Free Business Center" beware. I guess they assume that most people travel with their own laptops these days so why bother updating the business center? I am posting this from a computer that probably hasn't been used in about 15 years. I have to unplug the keyboard in order to plug in my flash drive because a) there is definitely no camera card slot and b) the USB port is in the back directly below the keyboard port and they don't both fit at the same time. My pictures of the pandas need to be rotated and while this computer is probably capable of performing such a task, I am checking out in two days so I don't think I'll have time to wait.


Besides the zoo, I stopped at a great LYS, Knit Happens.

Quick back story - I had originally planned on relying solely on public transportation during this trip but while waiting through our plane's delays a fellow passenger and DC native told me that I really didn't want to be at certain metro stations alone after dark so I ended up renting a car at Dulles and driving myself to the hotel. Yesterday morning I figured I'd drive myself to a metro stop and then go from there to the zoo. When I got to the metro stop nearest my hotel, I realized that alone during the day wasn't such a great idea either. I was tired, lost, and needed comfort and friends. So I went to one of the LYS's Wendy suggested. The people there were GREAT. They let me fondle all the yarn, looked up Seascape for me, and helped me pick out the perfect shade of Kidsilk Haze for a formal November wedding. Then they gave me directions to a more comfortable metro station. Really, this knitting thing is greater than the yarn and the needles and all the fabulous things we make. I walked in and felt at home. Perhaps this is how Harry Potter feels when he's out in the Muggle world? Like if he can just make it to Diagon Alley everything with be OK. Anyway, I digress.

Last night I also got to see an old friend I have known since my Girl Scout Camp days. She lives down here, so we met up at an Irish pub for dinner and Guinness ice cream. I also got to meet her new fiance - super nice, and they are so clearly in love. It was a great way to end the day.

On today's agenda? Bariatrics and Nutrition - conference room B.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Wow! Sounds like the trip to Knit Happens was definately needed. Glad that you were able to make it over there. It sounds like it was a piece of heaven in this strange town. But that's what I love about it!