Monday, June 30, 2008

167

I know it's been a while but I joined SparkPeople this week and I am feeling inspired again (notice the new ticker under my profile?).

I actually joined SparkPeople back in February to check it out for a patient but I really began using it this past week. There are a few things I really like about it. First, it is 100% free. Second, it's not trying to sell anything. I NEVER send a patient to a web site that is trying to sell them vitamins or miracle powdered drinks or anything else. I think all "education" on those sites is suspect at that point.

The biggest thing I think I like about it though is that the site encompasses so much. Not only can you track your weight loss, your daily calorie intake (it does most of the work for you, you just plug in what you ate), and your daily exercise but the site is big on motivation. There are tons of "SparkTeams" that you can join (much like the groups on Ravelry), there are message boards to ask questions and connect to people with your same interests or in your same area (there IS a knitter's group!), and there are SparkPoints.

You earn points for logging on, tracking your food intake, your exercise, drinking 8 glasses of water daily, basically most of what you do on/with the web site earns you points. The points go towards trophies which are displayed on your main log in page. Silly, I know, but motivation is motivation. Whatever it takes.

Check it out and let me know what you think.

3 comments:

Jill L said...

I know another blogger who went through them and she really lost the weight and is living a much healthier life style now. She is training for her first 10K run! My sister needs to loose 40 pounds and I sent her the link.

Good luck and keep us posted

Jennifer said...

I have an account with SparkPeople. While I like the food journaling function (you can add your own food!), I don't like their emphasis on low-calorie food (and high carb-low fat food, which is a bad idea for me personally) versus healthy choices. I do think it can keep you honest, though.

Alaina said...

I can appreciate your struggles....

I have been trying to lose weight for a while and it just isn't coming off!!!

I am going to go check out the link...maybe it will be the connection I need...

I'll keep you posted ;)