Saturday, February 2, 2008

THANK YOU JANE!!

A couple of months ago I asked a (very unsuspecting) co-worker of mine to make Bear a duvet cover out of the fabric from her crib bumpers now that Bear is sleeping in a toddler bed. I Googled toddler duvet and toddler comforter and found several for sale at Ikea. On a shopping trip before Christmas I picked up (what I though was) a toddler duvet and gave it to Jane still (shrink) wrapped in plastic. Apparently Jane started sewing before she unfurled the duvet. But being the good sport she is, she made it anyway.

Now, I am not a sewer (remember the non-maternity skirt?), but I'm pretty sure that this was a LOT of work. This thing is unbelieveable! Here's what I gave her...

Photo courtesy of a google image search :-)

And this is what she gave me...




Towards the center top of the first picture, not really visible, Jane embroidered Bear's name along with a frog wearing a crown.

How much does Bear like it? She took all the stuffed animals OFF her bed and voluntarily put them in her toy box to make room for her gargantuan new blanket. What does that tell you?

7 comments:

mari said...

Wow!

It's really nice. Something she will love for a very long time.

Joan said...

Oh that lucky little Bear! She will have that blankie forever now.

JustApril said...

It's love at first cuddle, a forever kind of love =)

Lisa said...

That was a fab idea....I still have Trouble's first bumpers. Maybe I'll get my mom to do the same with hers and she will have it for her first one....

I know that Bear will love it always!

NH Knitting Mama said...

That is beautiful, Megan! I'm glad that Bear likes it. You're teaching her to appreciate her hand-made gifts young... which is important to me!

Jennifer said...

Wow, that's so beautiful! As if I needed more impetus to take up quilting... (Step away from the fat quarters!)

Anonymous said...

Hi ! I felt honored that Megan asked me if I'd sew a duvet cover for her adorable little daughter. How could I say 'no'?! I was up for the challenge and although it was a lot of work, it was truly one of the most rewarding challenges I've worked on. The look of excitement and enthusiasm on Megan's face was worth it all. Her wish to leave work right then after receiving the quilt-duvet and go home to put it on Rebekkah's bed gave me additional confirmation knowing that my work was appreciated. Hopefully, the new cover will be well loved for years to come. And yes, it was HUGE ! Tip: never underestimate the size of a rolled up quilt innerds from IKEA ! haha
Thanks for showcasing it on your blog.