Friday, December 14, 2007

Survival

Part One
After spending more than six hours trying to travel 21 miles (a normally 45 minute commute - tops) my husband walked the last 1/2 mile to retrieve Bear from day care over an hour after their normal closing time. Luckily, a police officer happened by and drove Bear and Andrew back to his car and then helped them navigate their way back down the hill to the hotel where they spent the night. Five and a half miles from home.

Part Two
I used the reverse phone/address feature on whitepages.com to find the name & number of a previously unknown neighbor down the street to ask her to please knock on my upstairs neighbors door and ask her to call me so I could tell her where the key is, because please, could you just take my dogs out to pee and give them fresh food and water?

Part Three
I spent three hours "sleeping" in the chair beside my friend's hospital bed before giving up and working on my mandatory computer based safety training until 5:30 this morning when I hitched a ride with security to the employee parking lot and starting digging out my car.

Part Four
Despite three hours of sleep in (going on) 38 hours, Bear and I spend the eye of the storm shopping today. Gathering all the presents we think we need, hauling them into the house, and running to the convenience store to make sure we have enough wrapping paper, tape and ribbon to wrap them all while the next few feet of snow fall tomorrow night.

I want to sincerely thank everyone for their well-wishes and concern for my safety as well as for that of my family. I survived the night away from Bear, but hope I don't have to repeat it anytime soon!

10 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

So glad you're okay! Yes, I think many were stuck yesterday.

~Tonia~ said...

What an ordeal. I am glad that you are all home safe and sound now.

Jill said...

Thank goodness you are safe and sound --

Miss Me said...

so glad that you're all okay. it's coming my way... today will include a trip out for storm neccessities. hopefully mr. me, who is travelling back from the west coast, won't get stuck somewhere in the middle of the continent! although i'd rather him safe in toronto than on the roads in a storm.

Horse 'n' Round said...

So glad you all made it home safe! Man, it's like her in the Pacific NW during flood season. Take care!

Dana said...

So glad you're ok! Keep us posted, ok? Thinking of you guys!

Lisa said...

I am so glad that you, Andrew, and Bear all eventually made it back home, safe and sound. Gather yourselves around the TV or what ever amuses all three of you and be glad that you are together. Knit and share pictures with us.

BTW - Thank you again for the socks that I got with SITM. I am wearing as I type. I wore them all day today with the Munchkin and Wifey in Nacogdoches. It is going down to thirty-three tonight and they keep me toasty and warm!

Eclectic_VT said...

Hi there.... I read your blog on a regular basis...dont usually have the time to comment, but I have to say, I feel your pain...we have had 3 major weather events in 1.5 weeks ehre in Vermont, and I have had JUST about enough...*L* I've contemplated sleeping at work before..*L* I'm glad taht everyone made it home safely, and hope you were able to get some help with your pooches....

Jennifer said...

Oh my goodness... That is harrowing. I'm so glad you all are okay! Stay home and drink cocoa, will you? :)

Joan said...

My gawd!! I am so sorry for all the trouble your family wrestled. It sounds absolutely gruesome but it will soon be a distant memory.