Saturday, September 22, 2007

Wool Day

[Warning: Picture heavy post ahead]

This afternoon, my mom, Bear, and I drove to Shaker Village in Canterbury, NH for Wool Day.

I suspect that the Star Trek Convention people are laughing at us right now, but it was SO COOL! We got there kind of late in the day since we couldn't leave RI until after Bear's wee gymnastics class. The first stop was the big tent where there were weavers, spinners, dyers, amazing lace, and a trio of women all working on one shawl all at the same time. Bear even did some felting of her own!



We watched a sheep be shorn of it's wool. Wicked cool. And watched Todd, the amazing Border Collie, work his herding magic.

video







Then we went on a hay ride through the gorgeous Shaker land.









And of course, ended the day with some stash enhancement. Shaker handspun (and hand-dyed I would assume).



I also picked up some soap for my Fall Into Autumn swap pal and made progress on my SITM socks on the drive there and back (about 5 hours total). The Star Trek people are definately laughing at me now.

8 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Darn it! I was going to go, but feared that the nice weather would be the last time I could get the pool closed up for the year. SO I MISSED IT. I love Shaker Village. The man in that pic that was shearing the sheep is AMAZING. Saw him do it at the NH Sheep & Wool festival a couple months ago.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a wonderful outing. DOn't really get alot of those typoe of events where I come from.

Enjoy that lovely handspun yarn

Your Fall Into Autumn Partner

Lisa said...

"Live Long and Prosper". It sounds like the trip was fun and worth the drive. Can't wait to see what knitting was accomplished.

Anonymous said...

Oh man, I am so jealous! That handspun is beautiful. I hope you have a wonderful week!

*your SP

Miss Me said...

that looks like so much FUN!!! and those trekkies should never laugh at knitters. there garments may be machine made, but you're not getting that kind of too tight fit without a knit, now are you?

Joan said...

Bet Bear had a blast! ;-}

Dr. Purl said...

I love that handspun yarn! I am glad you had a nice trip.

Diane said...

It looks like you had a perfect day for an adventure. Hayrides are the best!