Thursday, September 20, 2007

Selfish Knitter

I'm thinking of becoming a selfish knitter.

You know, paring my Christmas list down to, oh, nothing. Painstakingly working on a sweater for hours, upon hours, upon weeks and in the end - wearing it out in public, not just in front of the camera for an FO shot. Oh, I'll still make hats and little sweaters for Bear, and socks and dishcloths for swaps but for the most part, it's going to be all me, all the time.

What brought me to this? Besides the fact that I'm sick of not sleeping December 23rd or 24th and then being all hazy on Christmas? My Two-Toned Ribbed shrug finally convinced me to make the switch. (Which, for the record, is the first garment I've made myself in ten years.) I've spent a lot of time with my shrug - swatching out the substitute yarn I chose, scouring LYS's for the perfect color for the ribbing, knitting all that extra and then ripping it back. Measuring and re-measuring the sleeves to make sure they were equal. I can't wait to wear it - yes to show it off, but more, the pleasure of wearing something I made. Knowing that the fit is perfect, because I made it that way, knowing that the colors are perfect for me, because I chose them.

I can't wait to say, "Oh, I didn't get it anywhere, I made it." Followed by, "Make you one? I can teach you."

8 comments:

ponyknit said...

Rock on :)

Lisa said...

Good for you! Now we need pictures of this fab shrug!

Cass said...

Right on! Power to the Knitta!

Miss Me said...

yeah!!! and let's not forget the gift recipients who really don't appreciate the gift... can't wait to see the shrug - i'm planning on making it myself. : )

KimT said...

I hear you on this one! I hardly ever make anything for myself!

Carrie Penny said...

I crocheted a sweater my freshman year of college (doesn't fit anymore) but everyone was in love with it. My Spanish professor spent like 10 minutes telling me how great it was. My first knit sweater came off the needles last year and I wore is almost all winter. My mother wants one when she loses weight now.

There is a lot of pride in having a garment that you made that fits! You will almost always feel better in it than one that you made.

NH Knitting Mama said...

I think you should enjoy what you make! I've gotten to the point that I won't invest a lot of knitting time into anyone if I don't 150% know they will appreciate it.

Joan said...

I got that monkey off my back last year. Except for 3 giftees, everyone else gets a non-knitted gift. And I celebrate "Joan'vember" knitting for me. ;-p