Saturday, September 1, 2007

Fall Into Autumn Dishcloth Swap

1. Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been doing it?
I only crochet when I absolutely have to, I'm a knitter. After much begging, my mom taught me when I was about 8. The first thing I made was a long rectangle with a hole in the middle for my head out of my mom's scraps. I wore it every night while watching TV before bed.

2. Have you made dishcloths before? Do you use them yourself, give them as gifts, or both?
Yes. Right now all my handmade dishcloths are otherwise occupied as blankets for Bear's dolls and stuffed animals.

3. What's your favorite cotton to make cloths from? What cotton would you like to try that you haven't before?
I like Sugar n Cream for dishcloths. I'd like to try any of the organic cotton yarns out there.

4. If you knit, do you prefer circular or straight needles? For all, do you prefer wooden, metal, or plastic needles?
Usually I prefer straight needles, though it depends on the project. I like dark, smooth, wood needles, but will use Addi Turbo metal needles. I can't knit with plastic.

5. What are your favorite colors? Any colors you don't like much?
I love sun-kissed earth tones, yellow, orange, reds. I dislike neon and washed out pastels.

6. What do you like best about Autumn?
I love everything about autumn except the fact that winter will closely follow. I love the cooler nights with the warm sunny days. I love the smell. I love the promise and possibility a new school year implies (even though I graduated a long time ago). I love the colors. I love making a leave pile and jumping in. I love apple picking. Etc. etc.

7. Pies: Pumpkin? Apple? Pecan? All of em? or No Thanks!
Pumpkin

8. When you were a kid, were you the one who couldn't wait to get started with school , or the one who overslept on the 1st day?
I was the geek whose pencils were all sharpened in July.

9. Do you celebrate Halloween? (The real key here guys is especially knowing if you have an aversion to the holiday or little goodies/decorations associated with it, given the time frame of the swap)
Yes. My daughter was born the day before Halloween (nothing like breastfeeding a 12-hour old baby with nothing but Fright Night 12 on TV). Last year we had a huge Halloween themed first birthday party for her in the middle of a monsoon.

10. If you had to choose just 3 edible 'goodies' to eat for a full year, what 3 would you choose?
Sour Patch Kids, Doritos, & cheese

11. Do you have any pets? Kids? Husbands who seem like kids? ;)
2 1/2 humans (a husband, 22-month old, and a 11-year old step daughter part time), and 2 dogs

12. If you were to describe a particular yarn that shares traits of your personality, what would it be and why?
Cascade 220 - it has the potential to be great but can just as easily be dull and mediocre if not properly nurtured

13. Do you use your cloths mostly for dishcloths, or as facecloths?
I don't use them at all anymore - see question #2.

14. Favorite Fall Holiday: Halloween or Thanksgiving and why? (Feel free to share another fall memory if you do not celebrate either of these holidays)
This is tough, again, Bear's birthday is the day before Halloween, so there's a special place in my heart for that one, but I think I might have to say Thanksgiving. And I wasn't only a geek in high school, I was a band geek - I went to all the football games. My friends and I still go to the annual Thanksgiving Day game to watch our team get creamed by the town next door. And of course there's the turkey and stuffing and various orange vegetables all surrounded by family.

15. Do you have any allergies or aversions your pal should know about?
No allergies. I should let you know that I detest the smell of vanilla and thanks to a certain bottle of peppermint schnapps freshman year of college, well, you get the idea.

9 comments:

Joan said...

We like the same colors. ;-} It's a New England thing, I suspect.

Gnat said...

That video of your little girl is so cute!!! Just wanted to stop by and say hi before the "Fall into Autumn" Dishcloth Swap starts!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the questionnaire- more information is very helpful! I'm getting your package together now- I can't wait to send it to you!

-your SP

Lisa said...

How great to be able to share a Halloween themed birthday party. Trouble was born on the 22nd but her original due date was the 31st. Over the last 24 years, we have had many Halloween Themed parties. Pin the wart on the witch's nose was especially fun. I'll have to did around the photo albums to see if I can find that one. I had to draw the face on a poster board and color it. It was fun.

Loved learning new stuff about you taht we didn;t learn in the SITM questions....

ponyknit said...

Tee Hee Hee, I would have been helping you sharpen your pencils in July. :)
My grandfathers birthday was Halloween, we had a lot of fun with that when I was growing up. I think that is why I still love the holiday.
(Was your concert this past weekend? How did it go?)

Laurie said...

I know what you mean about smell aversions leading from foolish college days. I can't get within 2 miles of the smell of tequila- instant margaritas (tip your head back while someone pours tequila and margarita mix into your mouth) sophmore year. Thankfully tequila isn't a popular candle frangrance! I'm trying hard to not do the dishcloth swap (too much going on rigt now), but I keep checking the sign ups out anyhow!

Miss Me said...

i would have been right next to you at the pencil sharpener, too! i still can't believe that some kids didn't like school. and the treats - YUM!!! all three are favourites of mine, too... although i might have put salt and vinegar potatoes chips in instead of doritos - tough call.

Anonymous said...

Well I am not sure what SP sent you a notice that she was shopping for you, but I am your REAL Fall into Autumn partner. Must be a mistake seeing how the message was posted on the 3rd and we just got the info on the 9th.....

Anyway -- this should be fun!

Megan said...

No fighting ladies! I think the first anonymous note is from my SP for SP11 and the second for the dishcloth swap. Don't worry - there's plenty of room in my mailbox for all of you!