Saturday, September 29, 2007

5 years

Basking in the sun on our anniversary

September 29, 2002

Dear Friends and family, we have come together to share in the joy of Megan and Andrew’s love for each other and to share in the celebration of their marriage. We are gathered here not to witness the beginning of what will be, but rather, what already is. Megan and Andrew’s commitment does not start with a public ceremony. The marriage ceremony is only a public testimony, a community affirmation, of that which already exists.

And so, we have gathered here today to celebrate one of life’s greatest moments --- to give recognition to the worth and beauty of love and to add our best wishes to the words which shall unite Megan and Andrew in marriage.


(Reading of Kahlil Gibrand’s words about marriage as found in theProphet.)
Love one another but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other's cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each one of you be alone,
Even as the strings of a lute are alone though they quiver with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other's keeping.
For only the hand of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together, yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other's shadow.

I Megan, choose you, Andrew, to be my husband, my friend, my love, the father of our children. I will be yours in plenty and in want, in sickness and in health, in failure and in triumph. I will cherish you and respect you, comfort you and encourage you, and together we shall live, freed and bound by our love.

I Andrew, choose you, Megan, to be my wife, my friend, my love, the mother of our children. I will be yours in plenty and in want, in sickness and in health, in failure and in triumph. I will cherish you and respect you, comfort you and encourage you, and together we shall live, freed and bound by our love.

Andrew, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. Wear it with love and joy. As this ring has no end, neither shall my love for you.

Megan, take this ring as a sign of my love and fidelity. Wear it with love and joy. As this ring has no end, neither shall my love for you.

Some people forget that love is
Tucking you in and kissing you "good night"
No matter how young or old you are.
Some people don’t remember that love is
Listening and laughing and asking questions
No matter what your age
Few recognize that love is
Commitment responsibility no fun at all
UnlessYou have each other

With the power invested in me by the State of New Hampshire, I declare you husband and wife. You may now kiss.

7 comments:

Miss Me said...

congratulations! happy anniversary.

Jen said...

Happy Anniversary!! It was a beautiful day and I'm so glad that you two went and celebrated it!

NH Knitting Mama said...

Aw, what a nice post. Happy Anniversary!

Laurie said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Looks like you had beautiful weather- and what a sweet picture of the two of you.

Lisa said...

Congrats! It is always so wonderful to share in a celebration of love that is so visible and tangible. Thank you for sharing this with us!

Diane said...

Happy anniversary.

Joan said...

Aww..how sweet! Happy Anniversary & many more!