Monday, September 17, 2007

163

An epiphany: Fatty, sugary food makes me feel like crap and in general, is not worth it.

All week, I had been really good about watching my calories and planning ahead. For instance: Thursday night there was a fund raiser for the high school girls soccer team at a local pizza place - I printed out their menu before lunch, decided what I would order, and knew how many calories I could use at lunch. The best part? I was well below 1800 all week and I wasn't hungry, I didn't feel deprived. It was great.

Then came the weekend. Despite telling myself there would be no Chinese food Friday night, Laura and I ended up there anyway. I told myself a bowl of vegetable soup would probably squeak in under my daily calorie limit, so that's all I would order. I ended up with wanton soup and two big egg rolls. Well, once I had blown my calories it led to all out disaster for the entire weekend. Pizza and subs Saturday night with candy later on, I was starving when I woke up so I had a huge pancake breakfast Sunday morning, hardly a fruit or vegetable seen. I felt like crap, physically and emotionally. I was disappointed in myself, my body felt like sludge, and I was CRANKY because of it.

You know what? I feel so much better when I eat right. I'm not filling up on empty calories so I'm not ravenous half an hour later. I'm happier with myself when I follow the game plan.

So, Chinese food this Friday? Of course, but it will be planned for this time.

7 comments:

Kaylee said...

I'm a carb addict but I found my body works so much better when I watch the carbs and sugar intake. Less sluggishness in general and my emotions are more in check.

I have to be careful myself... once I slip a little bit it seems like all my cravings hit at once! but if I stick to it, usually I don't feel that deprived.

Lisa said...

I'm so glad that there are others like me out there. I have been working so hard to get to the weight that the doctor wants by October and it is so hard sometimes.

BTW - THANKS for posting those wonderful dishes on the side bar!

NH Knitting Mama said...

It's the instant gratification of the yummy junk - that gets me every time. Then my cholesterol numbers come back from the lab and UH OH! One step away from Lipitor for life.... I feel your pain.

Joan said...

Once I open that door too, all hell breaks loose. I try to eat gluten free and find that my system feels best that way.

Carrie Penny said...

You know, I am doing really bad. I haven't been calorie counting for a a few weeks now. I am still losing weight, but the calories that I am eating are so empty that it isn't surprising. I have been really sleepy and I am starting to look like someone punched me in both eyes. I think I need to try and get back on the band wagon this week...

Diane said...

Everyone is entitled to fall off the correct eatting wagon once or twice. Don't beat yourself up over a little slip. You are doing great.

Meg said...

It is so hard establishing healthy eating habits, I know. If it makes you feel any better, once you get over the hump you won't WANT to eat them anymore. They won't even sound good to you. It's just getting to that point... it takes awhile.