Sunday, July 29, 2007

While I was out


WARNING: DO NOT read the SECOND PARAGRAPH if you have not finished BOOK 7!

I finally finished The Deathly Hallows last night. It has NEVER taken me this long to read a book (well, I take that back, I never did finish Othello in high school). It was a combination of a) wanting to savor every single syllable of this last volume and b) having a toddler who can't understand why mommy would want to read a book with so many words and no pictures. I finally had to give up reading and simply listen to the CD's while building Lego towers.

I have no idea what the world is saying about the book (or anything else for that matter) having cut myself off from reality this past week. I had taken the week off from work and loaded myself up with Netflix and knitting to pass the non-Harry time. For what it's worth, I am satisfied with the ending. I suppose it would have been too happily-ever-after for Dumbledore to really be alive, or for all of the characters I have grown to love to survive to the end (RIP Hedwig, Fred, & Dobby). I LOVED the epilogue. I needed that, knowing that everyone is OK and He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named hasn't risen again.

So, here's what else I accomplished this past week...

  • Watched Hotel Rwanda, Fun with Dick and Jane, Murder on a Sunday Morning, and Little Miss Sunshine.
  • Flunked out of Stashalong - it couldn't be helped. A LYS is closing one of it's stores and everything is on sale. I got these yarns for $1.50/ball and these yarns for 40% off. And I plan on going back.
  • Learned how to knit socks on two circular needles thanks to my Super Sock Pal and the friendly people at my LYS.
  • Received my fabulous Dishcloth Swap package from Barbara - I will post the pictures I took as soon as I figure out where Bear put the camera.
  • Finished the front, back, and 99% of one sleeve of the Debbie Bliss Striped Hooded Pullover.
  • Started the Two Toned Ribbed Shrug from Fitted Knits and had to frog the whole thing when I tried (unsuccessfully) to fix an unwanted extra stitch.
  • Wandered around Ocean State Job Lot for an hour, because I could.
  • Ate breakfast by myself, without sharing my pancakes or bacon with someone who cannot even ask properly yet - she usually just points and yells.
  • Went to Newport's Brick Market Place on a Saturday during tourist season - dumb, dumb, dumb.
  • Peeled about 100 stickers off my belly - someone taught Bear that stickers go on bellies, that person better hope I don't find them.

That about summarizes my week. I'm going to try to catch up on everyone else's week during nap time.

5 comments:

NH Knitting Mama said...

Glad you had some time to do whatever the heck you wanted to do! Lucky!

Poppy was taught stickers go on his PJ's. OY. I find them on his sheets when doing laundry. I can't yell too much, Grammy taught him. I guess it's better than the furniture or walls. (I better not say that too loud! ha ha)

Have a great Sunday!

Miss Me said...

i loved "little miss sunshine" - especially the dance routine! hilarious. it made my family look closer to normal.
i ordered "fitted knits" earlier this week because of that shrug. was it just an "operator error" problem or a problem with the writing of the pattern?

Megan said...

It was totally user error! I'm using Classic Elite Beatrice for the body part of the shrug and the yarn is actually three strands twisted together. I missed a strand when sliding a stitch off the needle amd accidentally knit the strand as it's own stitch. I noticed it several rows later and tried to just drop the extra stitch - which left several rows worth of big spaces between the real stitches. Then, because I wanted it to look worse, I decided to cut the extra yarn and try to tie it up in the back. Not recommended.

Lisa said...

How did you like learning socks on circulars? I am so addicted now! I am wanting to learn the magic loop next.....after the SITM KAL!

Will not tell Wifey how the book ends...I got her a copy this weekend. She wil have it done before she has to go back to school in the next two weeks...

Dawn ; ) said...

beautiful yarn ~ can't say I blame you for "flunking SAL" I would have done the same. enjoy your new stash.

~ fellow SALer ~