Tuesday, July 17, 2007

CONTEST Update

The entries so far...

Rebekka...
I made a sweater by Cornelia Tuttle Hamilton. It was my fisrt real sweater since the horrid one I made when I was eight or so and It was so beautiful. I did it in a blue yarn but parents had gotten me and it was just perfect.Of course, it did take a while. Quite a while. But finally it was done.I blocked the pieces, I seamed the pieces, I tried it on in the bathroom - and I went back to the livingroom and put it in a bag because I just didn't have the heart to start frogging it right away.I had apparently gained a little bit of weight over those months. Not a lot, but it seemed to have concentrated on my chest region. And the design of the sweater was - to begin with - probably not really suitable for someone of my build. Extra inches right there didn't work at all.It was a sad, but educational day. Mostly sad though.

Cass...
I finally decided to knit something for myself. A cute tank top, periwinkle yarn, totally ME. Yay. I chose an ambitious and poorly written pattern, but I had faith in myself. (snort) When I got to the armhole shaping, I read the pattern wrong no less than 6 times, knitting and frogging for days. Checked the site for errata and found none. Tried over and over, but never did get it right. By the time I cried UNCLE and tossed it aside in disgust, itw as misshapen and unrecognizable. It's still sitting in my "never will be finished" box. Not very dramatic, I know. But it was very traumatic for sure! :)

Rachel...
I made the cowl neck sweater from Stitch and Bitch, it came out slightly too big and the sleeves way too long. At this point, I did not know I could rip back the sleeves. I had previously made a sweater coat that came out too big and for some fluke reason washed it in the washing machine and it felted slightly to just the perfect size. So I decided to try this with the cowl sweater, of course it didn't work, the body felted to be the size for like a 6 year old, while the sleeves somehow got even longer - I guess it's a sweater for a gorilla baby now. It's sitting in my closet still, I keep thinking I will cut it up into something useable.

Laurie...
I have three that I have pictures for so I'll use those. I'm the queen of winging it and I'm a process knitter and not a product knitter so all is well. I'll continue to knit without checking guage and totally ignoring the pattern at times (which is why I LOVE, LOVE, Love to make bags- they are so forgiving!)

First off is the construction orange hat for my father. No the color isn't the worst mistake! I forget how many stitches I cast on, but it was obviously too many. I don't know of any human it would fit (and yet I cannot part with it!)



The second is a hat that was supposed to fit me!! It doesn't even fit my then one year old daughter! It was a pattern from the hip knit hats book that I was fascinated for months on end. It's an adorable hat for a doll now.


The third is one (yes one- the second one didn't get finished) felted mitten from a book I got out of the library. It is absolutely enormous and it's even to big to be an oven mitt. But it was one of my first felted projects and it's pretty cool looking even if it'd be huge on a basketball players hand.


Debbi said...
When the French Market bag was all the rage I decided to make one for my mom as a gift. I didn't like the plain pattern so I decided to create a pattern in the middle. Needless to say, the middle felted quite a bit and the top not so much so now I have a yellow and green Mad Hatter Hat. I am still looking for it to take a picture of it. I have used it during demos on what NOT to do when you felt something.

Miss Me said...
okay - i may have to come back and add more later. i need to try and find the magazine so i can get a picture. back in 1987, i knit a lovely sweater from vogue knitting. it was designed by addrienne vittadini. long sleeved, sort of boatish neck, lots of texture, in cotton. it was very pretty! and i had knit a tension swatch so it was PERFECT! at least to start with... remember i said texture? well the texture varied across the sweater. it was sort of geometric blocks of various different textures. there were eyelets and bobbles and bell stitches... it was loads of work and it was GORGEOUS!!! however, the textures meant that there were lots more stitches than might be apparent in some areas. this meant that the left side was considerably heavier than the right side. it stretched. and stretched. AND STRETCHED! about the point where it was 6 inches longer on the left, i frogged it in disgust. i was convinced that if i knit it just a little bit tighter it would be fine. was i right? who the heck know. it remains as a ufo somewhere in my storage room in a rubbermaid tote! RIP lopsided sweater.

Alaina...
I posted a picture on my blog of the first (and only) pair of slippers that I attempted for myself...I have no idea what I did wrong - but well , there is no way they fit me.


1 comment:

Laurie said...

Not to be knitpicky but it looks like my entry goes with Rachel's. And pigtails at 7 months-lucky girl! And Bear's hair looks adorable in every picture so y ou've progressed past braided buns very well.
Laurie K