Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Unfair

To support my yarn habit I work a day job at a local hospital. Most of the time, my job is pretty mundane. Today, was not mundane. Today, knocked me down and kept kicking.

A little background...
As with any local hospital, you have your regulars - the frequent flyers that for one reason or another come in again and again. You get to know them. You know their kids names, their favorite foods. They become part of the fabric of the hospital. When they're sick, you fight with them, and when they heal, you celebrate with them. Two weeks ago, we had one of those celebrations.

A patient was readmitted with recurrent symptoms after having surgery to remove some cancer. Everyone's first thought was that the cancer had spread. We were all wrong. We fixed the new problem and sent the patient home to their family. Today, I got news that the patient had a freak accident and is now paralyzed from the chest down. I have never cried over a patient AT work - until today.

I KNOW people get sick. I KNOW we can't fix everything. But how much is one person supposed to take? This person already fought the fight. And won. And now, the fight starts again, the road ahead will be longer, the fight tougher.

Paris, this is where the phrase, "It's not fair," should be used.

1 comment:

Amanda1 said...

Wow, Megan... I'm sorry for the patient and the staff and family that care about them. I, too, work at a hospital and understand exactly what you mean about enough being enough.

There is a saying that I have used for myself (I have a few health issues)..."I know God only gives us as much as we can handle, I just wish he didn't trust me so much." How true for your patient, too.

I'll be praying for you all.