Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Official Yarn Ho

Since this is my second knitting themed "thing" that I'm doing this week and considering how freakin' excited I am about both of them, I have decided it is time to declare myself officially a yarn ho. Today's list of questions and answers are brought to your by the virtual knitting vacation, an anonymous swap for those of us vacationing in our own back yards this summer.

1. If you could visit any state in the US, which would it be and why?
I think this is the obvious answer, but Hawaii - it used to be it's own country and the
pictures are beautiful.

2. If you could visit any country in the world, other than your own, which would it be and why?
Russia, in about two weeks, to meet my new nephew.

3. Have you ever driven across several states/provinces/countries?
I live in New England, so driving across several states is practically a daily occurrence. My
husband and I make the trip to western Pennsylvania about once a year to visit his
family.

4. Have you ever visited someplace you consider exotic? Where was it?
Guadalupe, in the French West Indies. The island (when I was there right after graduation from high school eleven years ago) was definitely NOT a tourist trap. Virtually no one spoke English, we pretty much had to rely on our 8th grade French class & fend for ourselves. There's a volcanic tropical forest that takes up the entire center of the island - I was too afraid of the 100-something-year-old rope bridges to go hiking in it.

5. What was your favorite "travel" vacation? Why?
Two years ago my husband and I went to Disney for Valentine's Day on a whim. One week later, we found out we were pregnant. That vacation was (unknowingly) the last time we were truly alone as a couple. Not that we would trade being parents for anything, but we both really treasure those memories.

6. Have you ever played tourist in your own home city/state (if international, country)? Explain. Sometimes... You know how when you go on vacation you'll eat at virtually any restaurant you see, you'll pop into a store because it looks interesting, and go to a play, just because. My husband and I try to do the same thing when we're home. Last year, we swore off chain-restaurants for a while and found some really great local places that we never new existed.

7. Are you a museum visitor, beach comer or an amusement seeker?
Definitely a museum visitor. When I travel to someplace new, I want to know about that place, about it's history. I want to visit it's landmarks, it's zoo's, it's naturally beautiful places.

8. What's your favorite type of yarn?
I love linen & bamboo, but wool is a very close second.

9. What's your least favorite type of yarn?
Besides flashy acrylic yarn? It's got to be the old-school variegated yarn. Not self striping or something multicolored like Rowan Nostalgia, those are great yarns - more like Red Heart Multi, that has to be the worst yarn out there.

10. What items do you like to knit/crochet?
Mostly tops for myself and my 19-month old daughter. I designed a halter last summer for the baby that came out fabulous, but I have made baby blankets, mittens, hats, you name it. My next challenge is socks. Yikes.

11. What do you pack, knit/crochet wise when you go on vacation?
Everything - well, as many projects as I can sneak past my husband. Who knows when there might be a 25 car pile up on the thruway or a freak snow storm that keeps you stuck in your hotel room for three days.

12. What other crafts do you do/would like to do other than Knit/Crochet?
Before or after I became a mom? Before, I had begun taking sewing lessons and started scrap booking. Now, the scrapbook still has a few unfinished pages and that yellow linen dress I made? No one can tell it hasn't been hemmed yet when I wear it.

13. Are you allergic to anything? (Yarn wise or treat wise)
No.

14. What is your favorite color? Least Favorite?
I like bright earth tones - does that make sense. Colors that look naturally sun-kissed.

15. Sweet or Savory (Treat not personality)?
Sweet.

16. Anything else we are forgetting to ask that you think your partner desperately needs to know? I'm pretty much a homey, outdoorsy kind of girl. I still consider myself young (I'm not quite 30) but I was never a flashy, partying, ultra hip person.

2 comments:

Sharon said...

your trip to the French west indies sounds fabulous! I love trips like that where you have to rely on your language skills. I have had a few trips like that (not recently, of course)

ponyknit said...

Hi, from a fellow KVV neighbor who is from MA

Just thought I'd ask you how to get the bars of your project progress on your page (yes, I'm new at this)

Any pictures of the yellow linen dress? I LOVE yellow!
(Alicia)